The Capital Division at the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) manages the entire capital process from start to finish, including scope meetings, design, procurement of contractors and construction completion. We are proud to be the country’s largest employer of landscape architects, with over 100 currently on staff working on in-house and consultant-managed designs. We also have a large pool of architects and engineers, in addition to resident engineers who oversee the daily activities of contractors, budget and procurement staff, and many other talented employees.
- Under administrative direction, with wide latitude for independent judgment, manage and oversee the development and progress of major capital projects including scopes of work, budgets, schedules and funding sources.
- Direct an interdisciplinary consultant team of professionals engaged in managing the timely and cost-effective implementation of major capital projects. Manage project milestones to ensure timely completion of work.
- Oversee progress of design work to ensure the highest standards are met. Monitor the progress of consultant firms to ensure designs are well-thought-out and balance aesthetics, scope requirements and maintenance constraints. Review consultant submissions for completeness and compliance with agency goals, such as high quality design, sustainability and durability.
- Review designs with agency staff including Landscape Architects, Engineers, construction staff and maintenance personnel.
- Coordinate project-specific interagency issues, such as permits, filings and approvals. Liaise with regulatory oversight agencies such as NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, NYS Department of Transportation, NYC Public Design Commission and NYC Department of Environmental Protection.
- Review and approve consultant payment requests. Coordinate with agency Budget and Accounting units to ensure efficient contract registration and payments.
- Monitor progress of construction including consultant’s review and approval of shop drawings. Conduct occasional site inspections for quality assurance.
- Present projects to other governmental agencies and departments, contractors and their representatives, consultants, community members and the general public as required.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, business administration, or public administration, and five years of full-time satisfactory experience in the planning, administering or expediting of engineering design, and/or construction, or coordinating a very large engineering project, two years of which must have been in an administrative, managerial, executive or supervisory capacity; or
- A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and nine years of experience as described in “1” above; two years of which must have been in an administrative, managerial, executive or supervisory capacity; or
- Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” or “2” above. An accredited Master’s degree in one of the disciplines described in “1” above, a law degree, or a valid New York State license as a Professional Engineer or Registered Architect or Landscape Architect may be substituted for one year of the required experience. However, all candidates must have the two years of the administrative, managerial, executive or supervisory experience as described in “1” above.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- Excellent communication, administrative, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple substantial projects.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve design and contract issues.
- Experience with public speaking and leading meetings.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and efficiently as well as in a supervisory capacity.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively juggle competing demands.
- Inter-governmental work experience and knowledge of government departmental jurisdictions and procedures.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $85,000 – $94,000 plus excellent benefits
Posted Until 02/10/17
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
- Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
- Search for Job ID#: 279049
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.