The Capital Division at the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) manages the entire capital process from start to finish, including scope meetings, design, procurement of contractors and construction completion. We are proud to be the country’s largest employer of landscape architects, with over 100 currently on staff working on in-house and consultant-managed designs. We also have a large pool of architects and engineers, in addition to resident engineers who oversee the daily activities of contractors, budget and procurement staff, and many other talented employees. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
- Under direction, plan, coordinate and direct the implementation of design and construction of large and/or complex landscape architectural capital projects.
- Manage multiple consultant landscape architectural design contracts for new and remodeled Parks facilities within an established schedule and budget.
- Lead scoping meetings with project stakeholders to identify project goals. Liaise with project stakeholders to keep them apprised of progress.
- Develop requests for proposals for landscape architectural services.
- Monitor the progress of consulting landscape architects to ensure designs are well-thought-out and balance the aesthetics, scope requirements and maintenance constraints. Utilizing AutoCAD and other software programs, review consultant submissions for completeness and compliance with agency goals such as high-quality design, sustainability and durability. Coordinate other professional reviews such as architectural design and engineering trades.
- Manage project milestones to ensure timely completion of work.
- Review designs with agency staff including landscape architects, engineers, construction staff and maintenance personnel.
- Present projects to other governmental agencies and departments, contractors and their representatives, consultants, community members and the general public as required.
- Ensure all necessary regulatory City, State and Federal agency approvals are received prior to issuance of bid.
- Review and approve consultant payment requests. Coordinate with agency budget and accounting units to ensure efficient contract registration and payments.
- Monitor progress of construction, including consultant’s review and approval of shop drawings. Conduct occasional site inspections for quality assurance
A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect, and either
- A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
- Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- LEED certification or a strong knowledge of sustainable and universal design principles.
- At least one year leading a multidisciplinary team of professionals or experience managing landscape architectural consultant contracts.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple substantial landscape architectural projects and resolve design and contract issues.
- Demonstrated ability to review and analyze landscape architectural construction documents.
- Experience with public speaking and leading meetings.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- A driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $75,000 – $88,000 plus excellent benefits
Posted 10/20/16 Until Filled
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
- Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
- Search for Job ID#: 267998
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.