The Capital Division at the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) manages the entire capital process from start to finish, including scope meetings, design, procurement of contractors and construction completion. We are proud to be the country’s largest employer of landscape architects, with over 100 currently on staff working on in-house and consultant-managed designs. We also have a large pool of architects and engineers, in addition to resident engineers who oversee the daily activities of contractors, budget and procurement staff, and many other talented employees. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
- Working under a Borough Team Leader, manage a design studio of landscape designers. Oversee implementation of the Borough’s Capital design program valued at $20-$45 million.
- Assign projects to in-house staff or consultants and schedule completions to meet team targets. Monitor design progress and staff compliance with project milestone dates.
- Direct and supervise Senior Designers and the design process to ensure projects have well-thought-out designs and remain on schedule and within budget. Coordinate with support units and consultants to prioritize workload to ensure schedules are met.
- Ensure documents are submitted to oversight regulatory agencies to obtain timely approvals. Review graphic and written design documents to ensure documents effectively convey project goals.
- Work with the Borough Commissioner, Maintenance and Operations staff and other stakeholders to provide information, input and assessment of projects.
- Represent the agency at meetings with outside organizations, community boards, community interest groups and other City and State agencies.
- Prepare analyses for potential future projects, including cost estimates and conceptual designs.
- Use, develop and/or implement new technologies, procedures and systems for tracking and reporting on project milestones and budgets.
- Assist with hiring, training and administrative oversight of team design personnel.
A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect, and either
- A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
- Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- At least five years’ experience in managing design processes, projects, contracts and staff that includes experience with interdisciplinary coordination during the design phase.
- Highly articulate with the ability to multi-task and prioritize competing agendas effectively.
- Advanced planning and design skills, with a solid understanding of urban design principles and technical production.
- LEED certification and a knowledge of any/all of the following specialized disciplines: ecological restoration, historic preservation, conservation, ADA/universal design concepts, horticulture and urban design.
- Excellent and effective graphic and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- A commitment to teamwork and encouraging professional growth in team members, and an integrated approach to project delivery.
- A driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $95,000 – $100,000 plus excellent benefits
Posted 10/20/16 Until Filled
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
- Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
- Search for Job ID#: 267975
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/park
References will be required upon request.